Yesterday, Rep. Larry Hosch, DFL-St. Joseph, introduced House File 3442. It is not an exaggeration to say that this is one of the most onerous bills with respect to older adult services that we have seen in years.
This bill will negatively affect the way senior living providers and care centers in the State of Minnesota are able to care for our older adults.
This bill will be heard in the Health and Human Services Policy Committee this Thursday, March 11, and the committee plans to pass the bill out of committee and onto the Health and Human Services Finance Committee that night.
This bill needs something more than the usual response, and that is why we are challenging you to help us along with Aging Services of Minnesota, with our 48-hour campaign against HF3442. Our goal is to ensure that every member of the Health and Human Services Policy Committee understands that we strongly oppose almost every provision in this bill.
Please take the following steps to help us reach our goal:
1. Email all of the members of the Health and Human Services Policy Committee (email information for the committee is found at the end of this message).
- For our communities, please use the message found at the following link: http://www.agingservicesmn.org/inc/data/HWSOpposeHF3442.doc
2. Ask your employees, board members, residents, etc. to do the same
3. If your local legislator does not serve on this committee, please also contact your legislator using the Aging Services Legislative Action Center, http://www.agingservicesmn.org/index/Become_Active and send message that applies to you (housing with services or care center).
Huge Increases in License and Registration Fees:
- License fees for class F home care providers are doubled (section 1)
- Nursing assistants are required to pay a $50 annual registration fee (section 2)
- The annual HWS registration fee is increased 1190 percent (no, that’s not a typo), from $155 to $2000 (section 3)
Transitional Consultation and Disclosures
Mandatory transitional consultation (“diversion”) for all individuals seeking to move into a HWS setting, regardless of ability to pay. Individuals would need to have a certificate proving they have had this counseling from the Senior LinkAge Line before being allowed to move into HWS. (sections 5,13)
Rate Cuts for Customized Living and 24-Hour Customized Living:
- Unspecified rate cuts for Elderly Waiver Customized Living and 24-Hour Customized Living based on the density of housing with services beds per age 65 and over in a county and contiguous counties (section 14).
House Health and Human Services Policy Committee Members
Rep. Paul Thissen, 651-296-5375, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Tina Liebling, 651-296-0573, email@example.com
Rep. Jim Abeler, 651-296-1729, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Laura Brod, 651-296-4229, email@example.com
Rep. Julie Bunn, 651-296-4244, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Tom Emmer, 651-296-4336, email@example.com
Rep. Patti Fritz, 651-296-8237, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Paul Gardner, 651-296-2907, email@example.com
Rep. Steve Gottwalt, 651-296-6316, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Jeff Hayden, 651-296-7152, email@example.com
Rep. Thomas Huntley, 651-296-2228, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Tim Kelly, 651-296-8635, email@example.com
Rep. Carolyn Laine, 651-296-4331, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Diane Loeffler, 651-296-4219, email@example.com
Rep. Tara Mack, 651-296-5506, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Erin Murphy, 651-296-8799, email@example.com
Rep. Kim Norton, 651-296-9249, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Maria Ruud, 651-296-3964, email@example.com
Rep. Cy Thao, 651-296-5158, firstname.lastname@example.org
Rep. Paul Torkelson, 651-296-9303, email@example.com
Housing-with-services play an important role in the continuum of care for older adults and adults with disabilities. We provide the right care, at the right time, in the setting an individual chooses to call home. Housing-with-services are cost-effective and prevent unnecessary and premature moves into more expensive nursing homes. Please support housing-with-services and oppose HF3442.